And here we are, at the end of another Module of this experience at Falmouth and it is time for those consideration about what worked and what did not.
I have been through a lot of things during these weeks, both on a personal and on an educational level, and not all of them have been positive. There are moments in our lives in which everything seems to collapse and we have to use all our energy to find a way out: this has been one of them.
Of course, it must be said that I had the chance to further experiment during Module 3, also thanks to those activities I had the chance to be part of: creating a Magazine in collaboration with my peers made me understand, once more, the importance of working with other photographers in a constructive way; creating a small project avoiding to use the tools I usually work with enhanced my ability to think out of the box; managing a workshop made me understand how much I love discussing about Photography and made me reflect on how I should improve to do it in a more effective way; after printing a dummy publication I better realised what was working and what was not in the way I conceived my project as a book and creating an exhibition made me realise what are my limits in terms of managing an event in unfavourable conditions and with a very small budget.
Focusing on this last point, I wasn’t expecting a great participation. As previously discussed, the central week of August is a moment in which everyone is on vacation, moreover it is a National Holiday in Italy and so not everyone is available to actively be part of a student’s project, but I am grateful to all those people who, with one or more photographs, decided to spend a few minutes to be part of it. I was hoping to receive about 50 photographs and, with one day yet to come, I received 66 images both on Instagram and via private message on the Facebook event page.
Analysing it under the advertising perspective, many more things could have been done to improve participation, but since I also had to focus on my Assignments, the only things I could do have been creating a small advert on Facebook, an event and sharing information during the whole event on Instagram and Twitter in order to let the widest audience possible knowing about my work and providing them with the chance to become part of it.
Day by day, I had to adjust the language I used: while at the beginning I tried to provide the biggest amount of details possible, then I realised that people on Social Media need brief information to be read in the most easy and fast way possible. I also created a brief video to explain the procedure to follow, but again, I had to face linguistic barriers, with some people asking for a translation (which I provided, of course).
But since my Facebook page has now about 234 followers and my Instagram page 144, since all published images received a decent numbers of likes even without the use of ashtags to promote them, apart from the ones necessary to participate, since, again, the images I created for my projects received a notable appreciation in terms of likes and positive comments (considering I am “Ms No one” in the World Wide Web): why those people did not participate?
I decided to directly ask this question to some of them and, alongside the sentence “I had no time, I am sorry”, many people told me they did not like the idea of showing their emotions with a photo on Social Media, especially because it is something that will remain there. Once more, the starting point of my project , that sense of awkward, emerged and this is why I still believe that my research could be important, even if maybe it might sound selfish. I am doing it for each person who, after those screams I portray, told me or, hopefully, will tell me “It was worth it” or “It helped me”, because my hope is to assist more and more people, creating something that matters. I wished someone did it for me and this is why I decided to do it for others. This does not mean that all comments have been positive, some critiques have been quite heavy and some others simply mean, but only who does nothing never fails and in my life I understood that everything can be useful and generate improvement. Another common opinion shared by those participants I had the chance to talk with about this issue, was that nowadays most of people do nothing for nothing: maybe, then, providing a small prize to the best image shared for this project could have generated a wider participation, but due to the subject matter it would have been simply wrong: I want to enhance empathy among individuals and it is a process that must start with the will to undertake this path.
Thanks to this work-in-progress exhibition on Instagram, now I have more images to integrate into my project, I have more information to process and new elements to analyse in order to decide how to proceed in the future.
I reached the end of this module taking the decision to experiment new routes in my practice, still maintaining its central part, in order to depict different aspects alongside the act of screaming itself. I started with those “Behind a scream” images I decided to insert into my Portfolio after the positive comments of my Professor and Tutors and my intention is to make further attempts in the future, even creating something new and different, always combining diverse forms of Art.
To conclude, if I would have to define this Module with a single word, I would say “hard”, but I must admit that, it provided me with many useful data and information that will perfectly work as a starting point for future considerations.
Marconi Dayana, I can hear you now, Instagram profile, https://www.instagram.com/icanhearyounow/